Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Menu planning

My menu planning had been pretty scattered across the board, in fact I'm still trying to find what 'works' for us.

I started out planning a menu - I shop on the same day each week, so that helps a little - for a week at a time. From my menu, I would make my shopping list and match up my coupons and go from there (occasionally sneaking in items that weren't on my list). 

This method was fine until I found the 'clearance meats' and found some good deals with them.  I started buying these meats to throw in my freezer - just to have extra at the house. Over time, we started planning our menu straight from the freezer and my shopping list was whatever is in the clearance and side items for the week  

Recently, I reviewed a couple of books about couponing ( one was a few weeks ago, the other coming up soon) so I have really been focusing on my coupon use and purchasing items that I can get a good deal on to go along with. This was working fine until last week when Samantha asked if she could choose dinner. 

So, for the past week, the kiddos have been 'shopping' from the supply at home and coming up with dinner each night. I think I like that - so we will be giving this method a try. And I will work on my coupon use as well as continue to shop for clearance food! 

Although, it does stress me a little, because I like having it all planned out, I do like the kiddos getting involved and helping plan and fix dinner. 

3 comments:

  1. That could be both adventurous and expensive. Have you been giving them a budget? It could turn into a great teaching opportunity that will help them later in life. Many kids today haven't learned budgeting from their parents and it makes it hard as an employer when I have to give them private lessons so they don't keep coming to work starved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could be both adventurous and expensive. Have you been giving them a budget? It could turn into a great teaching opportunity that will help them later in life. Many kids today haven't learned budgeting from their parents and it makes it hard as an employer when I have to give them private lessons so they don't keep coming to work starved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping from yur pantry sounds like a great idea. I have done it before, but not recently. I'm hooked on emeals at present.
    Glad you're getting your kids involved.
    Stopping by from the UBC.
    http://mydevotionalthoughts.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!