Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

COOL Field Trip - sorry no pictures!

When I scheduled this field trip, one of the first things she said to me was NO PHOTOS.  NOT something I wanted to hear!!!  Anyways, I went ahead with the trip.

We toured Dardanelle Lock & Dam!  We had an awesome tour guide and she explained so much to us.  Some things that I would have never thought of.

We actually got to walk out on to the Lock and even though there were not any boats to lock through, they still lowered it to the level of the river & then refilled it while we were standing on top of it.  After we got across, they opened the gates and showed us how that worked - how the boats would enter, lower or raise and then exit onto their way.  We were able to walk out onto the dam and while we were there, they opened up one of the gates and let the water flow through while we were standing on it.

I learned that even the general public can lock through.  Rog and the kiddos and I will be coming back to do that - well, he actually said we would just go and lock through at the Murray Lock in Little Rock.

After the tour, we had picnic lunch with some friends and chatted while the kiddos played on the playground.

Since we were so close we went up to the top of Mt. Nebo.  It was such a nice day and it was so pretty up there.  The kiddos were wanting to take a hike, but we had to get home to get dinner and head to the Girl Scout meeting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!