Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Homeschool Crew: Quarter Mile Math




(Side note~ this is the 3rd time I have tried posting this review.  For some reason, every time I have sat down to work on this, my computer goes wacko-o and I lose it...)
One of the goodies that has come In our mail the past month is Quarter Mile Math. This is a computer program that *can* be used without Internet access, but is really preferred with.  The actual game can be played without, but to get the full benefit of the program, you really must have it on a computer that is online. The *full effect* I am talking about is the fact that it keeps up with the child's progress, AND (bonus) they can race against others!  They can race against siblings across the house, or they can race against Grandparents that are across the country!

The kiddos have been really enjoying this, as part of what they think is Free Time, however, it is a great math review for them!  The version I have is Levels 1, 2, 3 Deluxe.  It covers math facts from simple number recognition (and placement on the keyboard) all the way up.  The box says 9th grade, but I passed 9th grade math and some of these skills or reviews are more advanced than I learned, so I am going to say from K all the way thru High School.
This cover shows why my kiddos were so excited: she loves horses, he is all about race cars.  With Quarter Mile, it is either a drag-strip with a race car or a green field for the horse.  In the beginning, you race against 5 computer cars/horses.  After a few races (well, 5) then you start racing against your best times.

There is a progress form that shows the topics they have 'raced', when, their scores/progress that can be used for keeping up with in their school work.  This page is very easy to read and understand.
If you are looking for something to reinforce math facts, this may be what you are looking for!  To hear what other members of the Crew have to say, you can click on the banner at the top of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!