Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Scheduling for school... it's that time....

Being part of the SchoolHouse Review Crew, we get our hands on neat products all year long.  While sometimes we do get a full curriculum, most of the time they are just great supplements.  Never knowing what exactly is coming up, or even if we will be chosen for the review, it's safer for us just to plan out our school year and curriculum and work the review products into our days.  There have been a few times that we have ditched what we had planned in favor of a full set review product, but I hate to bank on that happening!!

That being said, I wasn't really sure what direction we were going this year.  I'm torn because we need to really buckle down and focus and get in the groove for High School, but at the same time, this is the last year they have 'free' before it gets serious! I have always like Unit Studies, but feel that they are almost too old for them. I was pretty excited to come across A World of Adventure by Learning Adventures.  This is a One Year Study using the library, other books and the Bible.  It covers all subjects except Math in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, The Middle Ages, The Renaissance and Reformation and The Age of Exploration.  We will start on August 5th and it appears we will be doing a lot of reading, quite a bit of writing and plenty of hands on projects.  I have requested a good portion of the books from the library and as soon as some of them start coming in, I will request the rest of them.  

For Math, we are starting out with one of our review products and then I think we will use Life of Fred combined with Khan Academy.  We will also be reading through the book High School Prep Genius, in preparation for High School!  In addition to this, we will be participating in Class Day and either Archery or 4H with our homeschool group - plus scouts for both of them.  I think we will have a full year this year, but I hope for it to be fun also!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!