Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nuts & Bolts: Pulling it all together

Homeschooling Hearts & Minds

Getting it all done is the main goal in homeschooling... at least around here it is!  I think the key in pulling it all together is to know where you want to go and how you want to get there ~ from there, you plan your path!  We can't get everything done every day ~ you know why?  Because that's not how learning happens!  If we start on history and end up chasing rabbit trails for 3 hours, we are obviously not going to be able to get other things completed.  But, that's OK.. because chances are those three hours on rabbit trails more was learned than if we would have stayed on task.

Another reason is because life happens, plain and simple.  We lost several weeks last year when my Meme passed, because we were there, spending time with her and we were with family and my kiddos were seeing compassion for others.  Time with my Meme before she passed was something that I would have never gotten a second chance at... we can always read tomorrow...but we found out we can't always tell someone you love them tomorrow.
Another example of life happening and showing compassion is when the fire department gets called out.  If they need us, we go.  They work hard and get over heated, we take them drinking water and even meals if needed. We reach out to those in the community who need a hand and teaching my kiddos this by living it is something that no book could teach.

So, with rabbit trails and life, we still manage to pull things together and cover what needs to be covered ~ one of the joys of homeschooling is we can do it when we can!

Going back to having a plan, I have tried several things and keep coming back to the same way of lesson planning.  If you find something that works for you ~ hang with it and do it! (I am currently in the process of trying to blog about how I do lesson plans, so watch my blog and you will see my secret!)

Well, this wraps up the last week of the Virtual Curriculum Fair.  I am thankful for Susan for pulling this together for all of us and for her allowing me to participate in this.  Check out the rest of the ladies who "pulled it all together" for you!

1 comment:

  1. And I'm thankful that you were able to join this month-long event, thank you so much for participating in the Virtual Curriculum Fair. ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!