Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

I Am In Here

Elizabeth M. Bonker is a thirteen-year-old young lady with autism who cannot yet speak, but who writes deeply revealing poetry, which was featured on PBS's Religion & Ethics Newsweekly. She excels in mainstream public school with an educational aide.
Virginia G. Breen is the mother of three beautiful children, two of whom are profoundly affected by autism. Besides working to heal her children, Virginia is a venture capitalist investing in high-tech companies, and she sits on both corporate and nonprofit boards. Previously she studied computer science at Harvard, business at Columbia, and eastern philosophies in Singapore. She now studies relentlessly at the School of Autism.

I wanted to read this book because I wanted to see into Elizabeth's mind and thought process... I want to know what I can to communicate with  Mr. Chunky Monkey.  
I requested to review this book for several reasons.  One, is because I have worked with autisutic children - many years ago- before Autism was as common as it is now.  I have always been entrigued by Emily* a firey little red head that taught me A LOT!  Another is because a dear friend of mine, Amanda @ Surviving the Testosterone.  I have had the joy of her Mr. Chunky Monkey in the preK class I am teaching at our Class Day co-op.  I really enjoy working with him, and he would rather just play with my hair! 


This was a really good book.  I am sad because of this horrible issue that takes the normalcy away from precious kiddos.  I encourage anyone who has any contact with an autistic child or even has any questions about it, read this book.





“Available October 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!