Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Homeschool Crew: AVKO



As part of the Homeschool Crew, we were given a membership to AVKO's website. AVKO approach is multi-sensory and the initials stand for Audio, Visual, Kinesthetic, Oral.

When I first got signed on, I was overwhelmed. There is A LOT of information on this site. Once I started reading, I knew that I had been given a gold mine. The main thing I have focused on was To Teach A Dyslexic by Don McCabe. It come free with membership. I have been dealing with some learning issues with Samantha, so reading this book has been an eye opener for me.

Another thing that I found on this site was Sequential Spelling. I was able to download the first lesson free. For the first time all year, we didn't fight about spelling! They are loving it! In fact, so much, that I actually BOUGHT Level One for our spelling for the rest of the year. (And if you have been reading my blog for very long, you know I don't buy much!)

In placing my order thru the web, I actually started on a contact us page. I filled it out and waited. Nothing. Time passed and I realized that I never heard from them, so I filled it out again. And waited. Still nothing. Well, customer service is important to me, and I knew that I was going to have to write this review, and didn't want that to cloud my feelings for the product, so I called. The lady I spoke with was the most wonderful and helpful person ever! She helped me figure out what I needed, placed my order and then we still talked for another 30 minutes. (One of the great reasons to do business with a small, family owned company!).

So, if you struggle with some sort of learning issue at your house, you may want to come up with the extra cash (not much - just $25) and check out this website! It is one that I will keep in my top ten list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!