Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sourdough bread...not meant to be?

Ok - so I think I mentioned before that I am in the process of trying to make my own sourdough starter.  One would think that it is not hard to do, but I am steadily failing at it.  Here is how my shot at this has worked.
First time - forgot to feed it after the first day.
Second time - looks like it may be working - smells decent and looks ok - almost time to move it to the fridge - yay - it may work - unless you set it too close to the STOVE TOP when you are COOKING.  Heat kills it.  That is the only thing that kills it.  I kilt it.  Know how I know - IT STUNK!!!
Third time - made it all the way to the the fridge -wasn't 100% about the smell of it - I mean it is sourdough - but I felt this was pushing it - tried for bread anyways.  I am going to go for broke here and say it wasn't 100% where it should have been - in didn't rise. Doorstop for sale - nice, heavy, cute in the shape of a loaf of bread!
Fourth time - I am going to start a starter again on Monday - will keep you updated as it progresses....
Now~ I also started Amish Friendship Bread starter - from scratch - and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to.  I have to feed it the first time on Sunday, will let you know on Thursday how it turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!