Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Blog Hop ~ Scouting ~ my feelings...please hear me out....

This is probably going to be the hardest post to write about scouting... because I know there is so much controversy about both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.  

We started Scouting, because my kiddos were not into sports, but we knew as homeschoolers, we needed to have some kind of extra activity.  Heaven forbid we be 'unsocialized', right? That's it - that's why we started.  However, over the years, it has become more than just a social outlet for us.  The friendships that have been formed through the past few years are lifelong friendships.  The adults that have mentored my kiddos will be lifelong role models to them.  The skills that they have learned in scouting, will be skills that will help them the rest of their lives.  To me, scouting has been worthwhile for my family.

Now comes the controversy - 
Many Christians abandoned Girl Scouts several years ago because they took God out of the Promise.  I don't know if they did a few years back, but we say it with God in it now.  Then, there was the issue that  GS were funneling money to Planned Parenthood to support abortions - take a few to research Planned Parenthood - they are not a one stop abortion clinic.  There is more to that program as well.  
Now, the Boy Scouts have allowed openly gays to be a part of scouting and once again, everyone is worked into a panic.  

Here are my thoughts... first, for those who are down on Boy Scouts right now, I hope and pray that no one you love ever have to come to you and tell you something you don't want to hear.  The experience I have dealt with this summer makes me truly sad to think that some of the adults that were trusted adult would not be accepting of any these boys if they 'came out'.  After the way they acted, I'm sure none of the boys would go to them.  All during the flare up with our troop, I made it known to those boys that I was always available if they needed an adult.  As a Christian, I know that lifestyle is not acceptable - however, the Bible tells me to LOVE, not judge, condemn or make anyone feel that they are less of a person because they are different. The lifestyle anyone chooses to live is not really my business - I am to be the light and love on them.  

Moving on... these decisions - the change of rules, the funneling of the money - are things that happen on a national level, that I really don't have any control over.  Yes, I know I could quit paying my dues and supporting that, but I am looking at scouting in a different light than that.  Want to see it through my eyes? There are boys in our scout troop right now - one an Eagle Scout - who will tell you - if it weren't for scouting, he would be in jail, or worse.  I see boys in our troop that would be running the streets and causing problems if it weren't for scouting.  I see girls in other troops who come from split homes and have the troop leader that loves them and treats them as their own -and teaches them that they are loved and special.  

I don't see scouts through a national eye - I see it on a local level - helping kiddos here, in my own back yard, that would never have a chance otherwise, if it weren't for scouting.  I don't see it as supporting on a national level... I am right here local, doing what I can with these kiddos here and now.  And I know it's making a difference to these kiddos - I would hate for that not to be an option.

As I said, I know this is a touchy subject, and there are a lot of opinions - please feel free to share yours, but please be respectful of others.

Summer Blog Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!