Pages

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

- Blogger Friend School Assignment # 5 - Getting into the spirit

Our assignment this week, is to blog about "Getting into the Spirit".  I would like everyone to cover 3 areas in their posts:



  1. Share your family traditions for Christmas and/or Advent
  2. List 10 ways that you can prepare for the season
  3. Post a scripture that will help you "Get into the Spirit

EXTRA CREDIT:  Add your verse to bottom of every post that make this week to help you remember to focus on Him as your start to prepare yourself for the upcoming season.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


1. SHARE YOUR FAMILY TRADITIONS FOR CHRISTMAS ~ Growing up, for Christmas, we always - I mean always, every year, with out fail, even in the snow (remember I am in AR - when it snows here, the town shuts down) - went to my grandparents on Christmas Eve. We started at my Grandma and Grandpas for dinner and us kids would sit around and beg when are we gonna open presents - every year it was the same - after the dinner mess is cleaned up (you would think that would motivate us to help, but, nah - we would just sit around and rush the grown-ups!) We opened presents with my grandparents, aunts, unlces and cousins.  We got to play with our toys and such for a bit, but we always cleaned up from there and went to my Meme's and Pepaws'.  All my family there was usually waiting on us to get there, and we opened presents there and my when my pepaw would get tired of all of us being there, he would turn the news on and show us that the weather man had found Santa and he was close, so we had to rush home and get in bed.  Christmas Day was all for my immediate family - we got up early - super early - because Santa had come and we played with stuff for a bit, my daddy always made a big breakfast, then we all would go back to bed!! Christmas Day was me, my sister and our parents. Sometimes grandparents would stop by.  My cousin Mel (who is my age and still one of my bestest friends) would always call and ask what Santa brought us (she still does!! one of the traditions that we can't let go of!).  I said all that to say that it really hasn't changed much - we still visit both my grandparents on Christmas Eve, then we have Santa Christmas morning with my kiddos, and then go to my parents for Christmas breakfast and gifts with them and my sis's family.  We always go to Rog's parents in the afternoon on Christmas Day for dinner and time with them.  The only time that this changes is if Rog and his brother are on shift Christmas Day - then we sneak in my parents early on Christmas Eve (me and the kiddos still go over there for breakfast and to spend the day and we go to his parents usually the day after - we are just thankful that Rog and his bro work the same shift!!


 


2. LIST 10 WAYS YOU CAN PREPARE FOR THE SEASON ~


Hmm, this will require some thought - I am not prepared this year, so I guess I need to get on the ball with it!!
1. Pray - the holidays are a stressful and busy time for everyone - we see lots of people over a short peroid of time - pray that everyone keeps their attitudes in check and remembers the real reason for the season.


2. Cook ahead - for any parties that you are to bring a goody to as well as some meals for your family for those crazy busy times.


3. Christmas Music!!


4. Make lists - things to do, food to make, gifts to buy, gifts you would like.


5. Pick a child from an Angel Tree or do Operation Christmas Child (we are doing OCC shoeboxes this year- one from home and the GS troop is doing one also; we also usually do Toy Hill, but we will be out of town for that weekend this year - maybe there will be something similar in Branson).


6. Clean out and get rid of old toys.


7. Go to your church Christmas Service.


8. Go cut down a tree!!  A new tradition that we started a couple of years ago after several fake tree flops.


9. Christmas Crafts!!


10. Remember the reason for the season!!


 


3. POST A SCRIPTURE THAT WILL HELP YOU GET IN THE SPIRIT ~


 


And the angel said unto her,
Fear not, Mary: for thou hast
found favour with God.

And, behold, thou shalt conceive
in thy womb, and bring forth a son,
and shalt call his name JESUS.

He shall be great, and shall be called
the Son of the Highest: and the
Lord God shall give unto Him the
throne of His father David:

And He shall reign over the house of
Jacob for ever; and His kingdom
there shall be no end.

Then said Mary unto the angel, How
shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

And the angel answered and said unto her
The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and
the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee:
therefore also that holy thing which shall be
born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

LUKE 1:30-35
KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ and a bigger thanks for leaving me a message!